Star Gazer

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The "C" Word

This is an excerpt taken from our program for our performances of 'The Vagina Monologues."

Our producer/director thought that it would help some of our audience members to understand the background to the monologue 'Reclaiming Cunt' - and help them to keep an open mind as they heard a word spoken very openly, that is so shunned in our society.

I have read this excerpt to my female co-workers, as well as my Mum, and all of them requested copies, because they love that what they always thought to be such a horrible word is actually not so bad - they have opened their minds to the possibility that we can take that word back! My sister has also been subjected to 'c-word talk', though she still refuses to even accept that the word could be a good one. I'm still working on her. My Mum really loved learning the history of the word, and my Grama pointed out that she never had an overly large problem with it in the first place.

Personally, after taking part in TVM, I have been able to overcome the dread of using even the word 'vagina' in every day talk. I've also "reclaimed" cunt, and have no problem saying it... What do you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Origins of the word "Cunt"
information taken from STONE AGE DIVAS
by Gloria Bertonis, M.Ed.

"Cuneiform", the most ancient form of writing, derives from "kunta", a Sumerian word of ancient Iraq. "Kunta" is "woman" in several Near Eastern and African languages. "Kunta" means literally "one who has female genitalia", and was the term for "priestess" in ancient Sumeria. It is also spelled "Quna," which is the root of "queen." Since priestesses were the administrators in Sumeria c.3100 B.C. when cuneiform was first used, cuneiform was called "the sign of the Kunta", the Kunta being women who kept the books for the temple economy on clay tablets. They were responsible for the redistribution of monies that evolved from communal economics of ancient cultures.

When an abuser calls a woman a "cunt" he is actually calling her a "queen who writes and shares the wealth". Girls and women can thus reclaim a word that in our language has been used as a weapon against us.

The speakers of many ancient languages did not have large vocabularies as we do and the same word had different meanings, according to the context in which it was used. "Kunta" is also the root of "Kundalini" meaning "energy". "Cunti-Devi" is the name of the Indian Goddess of Energy and "Kun" is the Goddess of Mercy. In Japanese, "Cunda" is the mother of Buddha. "Quni" is the Korean Goddess of Love, who represents the sensuality, sexuality, and the divinity present in all females.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:32 p.m., Blogger KirFect said…

    I had no clue about the nature of the word. I when ever I hear this word I will think of it differently. And here I was calling it the mother of all curse words.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home